Saturday 26 May 2012

Gardening today :)

Hot hot hot in Durham today so I've been gardening. The weather here has been so weird, it has meant I am late planting stuff. Still, today I planted Lunaria, Vervain, Moonflower, Dirigible Plums ( that's Chinese Lantern Plants to non-Harry Potter fans lol. ) Also planted beetroot and runner beans, and also some jalapeno in the kitchen window. I moved the fern which couldn't take the sun next to the pond, planted the Hosta near the black Elder, moved one of the Lemon balm plants to the borders.

And then I found this, nestled by the pond.
It's Heartsease. It's a gorgeous little wildflower with many medicinal properties. I hope more of them grow.

The Buttercup corner is in full bloom.

And the Herb Robert has really made itself at home.
And after looking pretty dismal last year, the Thrift is flowering.
A couple of weeks ago I found some bluebells too but the men who came to replace next-door's fence squished them. :(

I also re-potted the sunflower and snapdragon seedlings.

Here is the corn I planted a few days ago, no idea if it will work out but at least I tried !

When we moved here, there was a clump of aquilegia which is now spreading beautifully, pale pinks and purples. Some clumps of montbretia, not quite time for their fiery-orange blooms yet, and snowdrops and daffodils in the springtime. And wild poppies, lots of them. At the minute, only the yellow ones in the little front yard have bloomed, but I'm sure the pink ones will appear sooner or later in the back garden. The little buddleia I got is now starting to grow and the lavender is looking very green, looking forward to that flowering.

I sat for a while next to the pond, just looking around the garden. It is almost 2 years since we moved here, and the reason we came was to have a garden. I'm just learning (hopefully) as I go, and enjoying it.


It's not the tidiest garden. Not one of these show-home types ! But I love it, it's coming together nicely.


No comments:

Post a Comment