Thursday 30 July 2009

Strands Of Starlight

A couple of days ago I read Strands Of Starlight by Gael Baudino. When I saw this book mentioned by the wonderful Poppy Palin I immediately tracked a copy down and read it in 2 days. It's not often a book makes so much sense to me. I was completely enveloped in the magic. It's about the witch trials, elven magic etc.

And then I saw the connection to my favourite tarot deck, Waking The Wild Spirit, by Poppy Palin.

I feel I should tell more about Ms Palin. Her Craft of the Wildwitch book was an eye-opener to me when I read it about 2 years ago. As I read it I thought how much of my own thoughts and actions were in that book. It helped me find my path. Nothing glamorous like Egyptian or Italian witchcraft. Just plain old traditional witchcraft. That's me, and thank the Goddess I read that book ! So as you might have guessed, I'm a big Poppy Palin fan !

I use her tarot regularly when I need a little help to figure out my life ( and my place in the world ). It is the most amazing deck I have ever come across. It's long since out-of-print, but can still be tracked down. Even though it has 78 cards and is called tarot, it is very different to the usual decks. Very calming, giving gentle readings even when it is about serious subjects. Just holding the cards and looking through them makes me chill out and smile.

So, I'm feeling very much connected again to this land we live on. We pour concrete everywhere, grassland disappears to make way for houses that the locals can't afford to buy. We trash our planet and treat it terribly. But still, dandelions push through the cracks in the pavements, tadpoles evolve, grass grows lush and green.

Feeling very much in awe of the universe right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment